Teaching is an exciting focus in Matthew's life.
He believes strongly in these key aspects of effective teaching:
- Teaching must be student-centered; not teacher-centered.
- The most effective teachers help their students become their own best teachers.
- The teacher must be a guide and a coach to help the student find his or her own path to achieving short term and long term goals.
This directly ties into a central philosophy of horn teaching:
- In order to play with solid fundamentals, we must produce an efficient resonant sound in the middle register.
- And then we take this sound higher and lower, louder and softer, and slower and faster...
- as we develop flexible articulation, smoothness across all registers, and solid intonation with informed musicianship.
- The entire brass playing experience should focus on resonant sound flowing freely along the air and driven by musical ideas.
Feel free to email Matthew (email@example.com ) if you would like a free lesson in person or over Skype/FaceTime/etc., or if you would like to have him visit your program for a free clinic.
Fundamentals for Younger Hornists may be downloaded here:
HaisLip Slurs (extensive slur warm-up) may be downloaded here:
H Haislip Scale Studies may be downloaded here:
2013 article, "How to Survive Music School", may be found on the International Horn Society's website here: